Location: Seattle, WA
Postdoctoral Fellowship, Ocean Ambient Noise Analysis, University of Washington
Location: School of Oceanography, University of Washington, Seattle, WA
Duration: 1 year (with a possibility of extension contingent on funding availability and satisfactory performance in previous year)
Start Date: Sept. 2022 (so sooner)
Salary: $62,000/year plus health benefits
Application Process: Please send your resume, one-page cover letter, and name and email address of one reference to Dr. Shima Abadi email@example.com
We are seeking one highly qualified candidate for a postdoctoral fellowship to work on a project focused on ocean ambient noise analysis and prediction. In this project, a data-driven approach will be taken to leverage a long-term ocean acoustic dataset recorded by multiple hydrophones at the Ocean Observatories Initiative (OOI) to (1) characterize the ocean noise in the Northeast Pacific continental shelf, (2) identify its directionality and its seasonal, spectral, and spatial patterns, and (3) predict future trends of the ocean noise in this challenging environment. Machine learning tools and cloud computing resources will be used. This position is funded through the Office of Naval Research with Dr. Shima Abadi as the academic supervisor.
• Doctoral degree in engineering, oceanography, or a related field.
• Experience in ocean acoustics
• Experience in Python and/or MATLAB
• Experience or willingness to learn machine learning
• Experience or willingness to learn cloud computing
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Strong record of scholarly publications