Summer Undergraduate Research or Internship Experience in Acoustics
The Summer Undergraduate Research or Internship Experience in Acoustics (SURIEA) 2021 program will be held May 17 – Aug 6 2021 and is expected to be conducted virtually.
About the SURIEA program
The Acoustical Society of America (ASA) is running this 12-week PAID summer undergraduate research program for students interested in the area of Acoustics. This intensive summer program in acoustics is designed for under-represented minority undergraduates from across the country.
This new program will emphasize training, mentoring, research, and preparing students for graduate studies & careers in acoustics.
Review of applications will begin March 5, 2021. Accepted students will be notified by March 19, 2021. Applications received after March 5 will be considered if positions are available.
The Acoustical Society of America (ASA) is the premier international scientific society in acoustics devoted to the science and technology of sound. Its 7,000 members worldwide represent a broad spectrum of the study of acoustics. ASA publications include The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America (the world’s leading journal on acoustics), Acoustics Today magazine, books, and standards on acoustics. The society also holds two major scientific meetings each year.
- Currently enrolled as an undergraduate student in a 2- or 4-year institution, including community and tribal colleges.
- Applicant’s race/ethnicity should be one of the following underrepresented groups: Black/African American, Native American, Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander, Alaska Native, Hispanic or Latino/a
- Interested in acoustics.
- $7500 stipend for the 12-week experience, paid out in two lump sums (in late May and late July).
- Meeting registration fees covered for Acoustics in Focus (AiF), taking place 8-10 June 2021 online.
- Up to $2500 to apply towards participation at two upcoming ASA meetings (December 2021 in Seattle; May 2022 in Denver).
- Two-week acoustic fundamentals short course.
- Ten weeks of hands-on research or internship experience, working closely with a mentor in acoustics.
- Cohort participants will meet as a group periodically throughout the 12-week program to develop and refine professional skills, practice science/technical oral and written communication, build support networks and more.
- Approximately 30-40 hours per week from May 17, 2021 through August 6, 2021.
- Cohort training and most of the research and internship experiences will be conducted virtually during Summer 2021, so participants will connect remotely. Assistance with remote connection can be provided if needed.
- Participate in upcoming ASA meetings (May 8-10, Online AiF; December 2021 in Seattle; May 2022 in Denver), with travel/fees provided by the SURIEA program.