Summer Undergraduate Research or Internship Experience in Acoustics
2024 SURIEA Information
Applications Open: October 1
Applications Due: January 2
About the SURIEA program
The Acoustical Society of America (ASA) will be running a 12-week PAID summer undergraduate research program for students interested in the area of Acoustics. This intensive summer program in acoustics is designed for under-represented undergraduate students from across the country.
This program will emphasize training, mentoring, research, and preparing students for graduate studies & careers in acoustics.
The Acoustical Society of America (ASA) is the premier international scientific society in acoustics devoted to the science and technology of sound. Its 7,000 members worldwide represent a broad spectrum of the study of acoustics. ASA publications include The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America (the world’s leading journal on acoustics), Acoustics Today magazine, books, and standards on acoustics. The society also holds two major scientific meetings each year.
- Currently enrolled as an undergraduate student in a 2- or 4-year institution, including community and tribal colleges.
- Applicant’s race/ethnicity should be one of the following underrepresented groups: Black/African American, Native American, Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander, Alaska Native, Hispanic or Latino/a.
- At least 18 years old at the start of the program.
- Interested in acoustics.
- A minimum stipend of $7500 for the 12-week experience. The 12 weeks includes:
- 1-week, in-person acoustic fundamentals short course (location & dates TBA).
- 11-weeks of in-person research or internship experience, working closely with a mentor in acoustics.
- Up to $2000 to apply towards participation at an upcoming ASA meeting.
- Cohort participants will meet virtually as a group, weekly throughout the program to develop and refine professional skills, practice science/technical oral and written communication, build support networks and more.
- Approximately 30-40 hours per week between May 29 – Aug 18, 2023.
- The final week, Aug 14–18, 2023 will have only virtual meetings.
- Weekly cohort meetings will be conducted virtually during Summer 2022, so participants will connect remotely. Assistance with remote connection can be provided if needed.
- Participate in an upcoming ASA meeting. Registration fees waived by the SURIEA program & travel funds provided.
- Interning at Bose
- How does speech degrade by face masks effect bilingual speech perception?
- Calibration of Mobile Phones for Collecting Noise Data
- Implementing a real-time PAM imaging system using ex-vivo human vertebrae and microbubbles
- Acoustic Consulting: A Crash Course
- Videos that alter the pleasantness of sounds
- Interning at Threshold Acoustics
- The Doppler Ultrasound twinkling artifact on crevices etched on Silicon wafer.
- Acoustic Alternations and Emphasized Pitches of Hawaiian Humpback Whales
- Uncovering Social Identifiers Inherent in Speech Signal
- Frequency changes in humpback whale song units in response to boat noise
- Chiller Compressor Sound Emission Analysis
- Analysis of Arterial Wall Pulsation in Ultrasound Imaging
- Observed Changes in Pupil Dilation and Corresponding Subjective-Ratings of Sensitivity, Annoyance, and Exposure to Noise
- Ship Detection from Passive Underwater Acoustic Recordings Using Machine Learning
- Auralization in Room Acoustics
- HeARS: A Mobile Application Based Speech in Noise Screener
- Amplitude Modulation Fusion Experiment
- Experience as Trane Employee and Assigned Projects
- Ambeo VR Microphone Auralization
- Cross cultural infant directed speech in depressed mothers: Spanish vs English speaking mothers
- Automatic Vowel Space Measurement with Children
- Bubble Cloud Simulation
- Modeling Ultrasonic Beam Scattering in Heterogeneous Solids
- Threshold and the Consultation Process