Summer Undergraduate Research or Internship Experience in Acoustics
Planning for the Summer Undergraduate Research or Internship Experience in Acoustics (SURIEA) 2022 program is underway. Program information will be updated soon. Join our mailing list for updates: https://acousticalsociety.org/keep-me-informed/
About the SURIEA program
The Acoustical Society of America (ASA) will be running a 12-week PAID summer undergraduate research program for students interested in the area of Acoustics. This intensive summer program in acoustics is designed for under-represented minority undergraduates from across the country.
This program will emphasize training, mentoring, research, and preparing students for graduate studies & careers in acoustics.
Application link will be posted here.
The Acoustical Society of America (ASA) is the premier international scientific society in acoustics devoted to the science and technology of sound. Its 7,000 members worldwide represent a broad spectrum of the study of acoustics. ASA publications include The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America (the world’s leading journal on acoustics), Acoustics Today magazine, books, and standards on acoustics. The society also holds two major scientific meetings each year.
- Currently enrolled as an undergraduate student in a 2- or 4-year institution, including community and tribal colleges.
- Applicant’s race/ethnicity should be one of the following underrepresented groups: Black/African American, Native American, Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander, Alaska Native, Hispanic or Latino/a
- Interested in acoustics.
- $7500 stipend for the 12-week experience paid by weekly.
- Up to $2500 to apply towards participation at two upcoming ASA meetings (December 2022 in Nashville; May 2023 in Chicago).
- 1-week, in-person acoustic fundamentals short course (location & dates TBA).
- 11-weeks of in-person research or internship experience, working closely with a mentor in acoustics.
- Cohort participants will meet virtually as a group, weekly throughout the program to develop and refine professional skills, practice science/technical oral and written communication, build support networks and more.
- Approximately 30-40 hours per week.
- Weekly cohort meetings will be conducted virtually during Summer 2022, so participants will connect remotely. Assistance with remote connection can be provided if needed.
- Participate in upcoming ASA meetings (December 2022 in Nashville; May 2023 in Chicago), with travel/fees provided by the SURIEA program.