Location: Boulder, CO
Position Title: Senior Power Amplifier Engineer (Engr III)
Department: 803 – R&D Electrical Hardware Engineering
FSLA Code: Salaried, Exempt
Reports To: Director, Hardware Engineering
Revised: Sep 10, 2018
The QSC Senior Power Amplifier Engineer is responsible for creating and implementing electronic hardware products for QSC. The Engineer will design and develop audio specific power supplies and amplifiers with power levels ranging from several watts to tens of kilowatts. A successful candidate needs a broad technical background designing, simulating, fabricating, and testing both switch mode power supplies (SMPS) and class D audio power amplifiers.
Typical responsibilities include analog and digital circuit design, architectural design, schematic capture, circuit modeling and simulation, PCB layout, timing and signal integrity analysis, components evaluation and selection, solving EMC and regulatory issues, bringing up prototypes and troubleshooting, test and validation of the designs.
Engineer is responsible for delivering product design that meets all safety, regulatory, and performance requirements. In addition, the QSC Senior Power Amplifier Engineer will provide guidance to junior team members and technicians.
The position requires the individual to work well within a small, cross-functional team consisting of mechanical, software, and firmware engineers, as well as product managers, program managers, manufacturing engineers, and NPI engineers. The role requires someone who is self-motivated, has excellent problem solving skills, possesses a keen attention to detail, works well within a small team, and can produce results.
Education and Experience:
- BSEE required, MSEE preferred
- 10 + years’ design experience is required
- Experience with simulation tool(s) is required
- Extensive experience with schematic capture/PCB layout software required. (Cadence Allegro preferred).
- Experience with high fidelity analog & digital audio circuit design, operational amplifiers, and high dynamic range audio data converter
- Experience with audio power amplifier design, such as Class-D amplifiers
- Solid theoretical and practical knowledge of switch-mode power conversion for use in DC/DC power supplies
- Magnetic design skills for inductors and transformers required
- Knowledge of regulatory compliance requirements and test methods including UL, FCC, CE, and others as appropriate
- Good communication skills, both written and oral, in English
- Superior problem solving skills: issue identification, problem structuring, analysis, and developing recommendations
- Ability to produce results in a dynamic work environment
- VHDL or Verilog experience is a plus
- Experience with C++ scripting and other high-level programming languages is a plus
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Designs and implements analog and digital electronic hardware with an emphasis on audio applications
- Development and analysis of audio electronics components and systems
- Develops power supplies and amplifiers for use in professional audio products.
- SMPS topology analysis and selection
- Design simulation in Micro-Cap
- Magnetic design and prototype of inductors and transformers
- Tests, validates, and verifies audio performance of audio systems and subsystems.
- Test, qualify, and debug supply and amplifier to meet FCC, CE, UL, etc. standards
- Drives and achieves results that meet aggressive time and cost constraints
- Works effectively with other design engineers, manufacturing, test engineering and outside suppliers to ensure a high quality, robust solution in minimal time
- Must be self-motivated in order to achieve assigned objectives with minimal supervision
- Lead, mentor, and support junior engineers in their career development and project design efforts
- Travel to Asia and other countries approximately 5% of the time
- Performs other duties as assigned
These statements reflect the general details considered to describe the principal functions of the job, and are not to be construed as detailed descriptions of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
Describe the job here. All the things you need to know.Describe the job here. All the things you need to know. Describe the job here. All the things you need to know. Describe the job here. All the things you need to know. Describe the job here. All the things you need to know. Describe the job here. All the things you need to know.Describe the job here. All the things you need to know. Describe the job here. All the things you need to know. Describe the job here. All the things you need to know. Describe the job here. All the things you need to know.