La Crosse WI
At Ingersoll Rand we are passionate about inspiring progress around the world. We advance the quality of life by creating comfortable, sustainable and efficient environments. Our people and our family of brands—including Club Car®, Ingersoll Rand®, Thermo King®, Trane®, American Standard® Heating & Air Conditioning and ARO® – work together to enhance the quality and comfort of air in homes and buildings; transport and protect food and perishables; and increase industrial productivity and efficiency. We are a global business committed to a world of sustainable progress and enduring results. For more information, visit www.ingersollrand.com.
Ingersoll Rand is a diverse and inclusive environment. We are an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to hiring a diverse workforce; including individuals with disabilities and United States qualified protected veterans.
This Senior Acoustics Engineer will work in an Acoustics Engineering group with a focus on commercial HVAC product development, technology development, continuous product support and field support. This role is responsible for applying experimental and computational methods for product sound ratings, developing industry leading quiet designs in support of product plans, and representing Trane at technical societies. Potential focus areas include acoustic testing and simulation, structural vibration, component (fans and compressors) and system noise, acoustic transmission and radiation and acoustic mitigation methods. This Engineer will work closely with various product & technology development teams and with global engineering support center personnel around the globe.
Core Job Responsibilities (others may be added):
- Support and carry-out the advancement and growth of applied acoustics engineering as well as laboratory measurements. The scope encompasses technology in both computational and experimental tools & methodologies applicable to Commercial HVAC products.
- Work closely with product engineers as a member of the various product & technology development teams to design reliable & quiet products and provide solutions to meet market requirements.
- Plan, conduct and supervise various acoustics & vibration tests and/or projects, including but not limited to: sound power (reverberant room, hemi-anechoic and sound intensity), sound pressure, steady state and transient vibration, transmission loss and acoustics material properties.
- Work closely with both technicians and engineers (product, acoustics, lab, etc.). Responsibilities include understanding and prioritizing test requests, designing and proposing the appropriate tests, discussing and supervising test implementations, assuring the validity of the data and its interpretation and documenting the work in formal reports.
- Plan, conduct and supervise work related to developing acoustic simulation models. The scope includes prediction of vibration, sound radiation, source identification, sound transmission and muffler performance, using 1D models, finite element (FEA), boundary element (BEA), statistical energy analysis (SEA) and/or other methods.
- Correlating simulation or any other prediction models with test data to improve prediction accuracy and validate models.
- Support and successfully accomplish annual corporate objectives for individuals and team.
- Effectively utilize personal project management techniques and utilize the available technical skills and resources necessary for success.
- Bachelor's Degree in Applied Mechanics, Mechanical Engineering, Physics (or related technical discipline with focus in acoustics & vibration) and at least 5 years of Acoustics or NVH experience is required.
- Master’s Degree or Ph.D. is preferred.
- Formal coursework in acoustics, vibration, structural mechanics and digital signal processing.
- Experience in acoustic data and structural acquisition systems, both hardware and software, as well as mechanical strain measurement is preferred.
- Experience with Commercial HVAC products, (chillers, air handlers, packed rooftops, fans and compressors) and AHRI, ANSI and ISO test standards is desired.
- Experience or knowledge in LMS Test.Lab is highly desirable while that in ANSYS, Virtual.Lab, ESI VA-One, and HYPERWORKS would be considered a plus.
- Knowledge in the design, testing and optimization for sound, vibration and/or flow characteristics of machinery.
- Ability to work on multiple high-priority projects simultaneously.
- Internalize Ingersoll Rand’s purpose, advocate positively for the organization, engender the trust and respect of others, and live the values of integrity, teamwork, respect, courage and innovation.
- Speak and write in an authentic and persuasive manner to strike a chord with the listener, inspire engagement and commitment, and compel action.
- Seek opportunities and engage with others to gain understanding and insights through the pursuit of information, experiences, dialogue and feedback.
- Cultivate mutually-beneficial customer relationships and work to earn the trust of the customer by ensuring that the Company delivers value and acquire customer-driven insights to effectively address issues, needs and opportunities.
- Innovate by imagining new possibilities and combining existing ideas and approaches to create new business solutions.
- Question accepted practices, develop creative approaches, mitigate resistance to change and encourage others to do the same to promote progress through change.
- Focus on achieving ever-higher standards of excellence – for the business, the organization and personally.
We are committed to helping you reach your professional, personal and financial goals. We offer competitive compensation that aligns with our business strategies and comprehensive benefits to help you live your healthiest. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse culture that engages as well as values the different backgrounds and experiences of our employee, which, in turn, spurs innovation, generates creative solutions and enhances our customer relations.
If you share our passion for inspiring progress—for bringing about bold shifts in how people, economies and societies operate—then you belong with Ingersoll Rand. Progress begins with you!