Facebook Reality Labs (FRL)
Location: Redmond, WA
The Facebook Reality Labs (FRL) Research Team brings together a world-class team of researchers, developers, and engineers to create the future of virtual and augmented reality, which together will become as universal and essential as smartphones and personal computers are today. And just as personal computers have done over the past 45 years, AR and VR will ultimately change everything about how we work, play, and connect. We are developing all the technologies needed to enable breakthrough AR glasses and VR headsets, including optics and displays, computer vision, audio, graphics, brain-computer interface, haptic interaction, eye/hand/face/body tracking, perception science, and true telepresence. Some of those will advance much faster than others, but they all need to happen to enable AR and VR that are so compelling that they become an integral part of our lives. You can find out more about us here: https://tech.fb.com/inside-facebook-reality-labs-research-the-future-of-audio/ We further believe that AR/VR will be the backbone of revolutionary new devices capable of hearing enhancement and correction for those with difficulty understanding speech in noise. This internship is well suited for someone with a strong interest in being a central part of a research group working towards advancing the state of the art in hearing correction and enhancement technologies using AR/VR. In particular, we are looking for someone with the vision and creativity to see beyond what a traditional hearing aid is capable of, and take full advantage of what AR/VR has to offer in terms of enabling and enhancing communication for both normal and hearing impaired listeners. The role requires a background in audiology, hearing science, auditory physiology, neuroscience, or hearing aid / cochlear implant signal processing. The successful candidate will have strong skills in clinical or research audiology, speech intelligibility assessment and modelling, speech enhancement, and/or machine learning with signal processing. Our internships are sixteen (16) to twenty four (24) weeks long and we have various start dates throughout the year.
Research Intern, Hearing Science and Auditory Perception (PhD) Responsibilities
- Design and implementation of novel algorithms to solve hearing assistance problems
- Collaboration with and support of other researchers across various disciplines
- Communication of research agenda, progress and full analyses of results
- Currently has, or is in the process of obtaining, a PhD in the field of Hearing Science, Neuroscience, Signal Processing or similar or a related field
- 2+ years of programming skill set in MATLAB, Python, C, or C++
- 2+ years of experience in statistics and/or machine learning
- 2+ years of experience in binaural rendering, spatial hearing, or signal processing
- Interpersonal experience: cross-group and cross-culture collaboration
- Must obtain work authorization in country of employment at the time of hire, and maintain ongoing work authorization during employment
- Intent to return to degree-program after the completion of the internship/co-op
- Experience in human auditory spatial perception
- Experience in real-time audio and audio algorithms development
- Experience in one or more of the following: Audio, Augmented Reality, Virtual Reality
- Proven track record of achieving significant results as demonstrated by grants, fellowships, patents, as well as first-authored publications at relevant journals or conferences, e.g. IEEE International Conference on Acoustics Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP), Association for Research in Otolaryngology (ARO), NeurIPS, ICML, IEEE MLSP, Acoustical Society of America (ASA), and Audio Engineering Society (AES)
Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we’re building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we’re creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we’re just getting started.
Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.