Applied Research Laboratory (ARL) at Penn State
Location: State College, PA
Careers at the Applied Research Laboratory at the Pennsylvania State University
The Applied Research Laboratory (ARL) at Penn State is an integral part of one of the leading research universities in the nation and serves as a University Center of Excellence in Defense science, systems, and technologies with a focus in naval missions and related areas. As a DoD-designated, U.S. Navy UARC (University Affiliated Research Center), ARL maintains a long-term strategic relationship with the U.S. Navy and provides support for other services. We are searching for a Structural Acoustics Engineer to join our Structural Acoustics Department in the Fluid Dynamics and Acoustics Office as a faculty member to perform modeling and measurement research in the area of structural acoustics for a wide range of possible applications including marine vehicles, aviation, and renewable and non-renewable energy production.
Employment at ARL includes many benefits and rewards, including:
- Professional Development
- Career Advancement Opportunities
- 75% Tuition Discount for you and your family
- Safe and Diverse Community
- College Sporting Event Mecca
- World-Class Entertainment Facilities and Events
- Cultural Events
- Good Public Education System
- Activities for All Stages of your Life
What YOU Will Do…
Responsibilities include: Prepare and conduct experiments at ARL, as well as various off-site testing facilities, using advanced instrumentation; identify and perform appropriate numerical and analytical modeling; write and submit proposals for funded research; cultivate relationships with existing and potential government and industry sponsors; collaborate with other research and academic faculty at Penn State; and document research activities in technical reports and peer reviewed publications.
What YOU Need to be Successful…
Faculty rank will be commensurate with education level and experience. Minimum requirements include a PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Engineering Science and Mechanics, or a related field plus five years of related work experience.
- Familiarity with data acquisition systems and multiple-input-multiple-output measurements
- Proficiency in programming within the Matlab environment and in a compiled language such as C/C++ or FORTRAN
- Familiarity with government research programs and the proposal submission process
- Proficiency in finite element modeling using commercial programs such as Nastran and/or Abaqus
- Expertise in vibration and acoustics measurements, experimental modal analysis techniques, and finite element and boundary element analysis
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- The ability to work independently and meet project schedule requirements
- The ability to work effectively in a team environment
Occasional domestic and international travel will be required to support testing. You will be subject to a government security investigation, and you must be a U.S. citizen to apply. Employment with the Applied Research Laboratory will require successful completion of a pre-employment drug screen. This is a one year, fixed-term renewable appointment.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION on ARL, visit our web site at http://www.arl.psu.edu.
Apply online at http://apptrkr.com/1284551
CAMPUS SECURITY CRIME STATISTICS: For more about safety at Penn State, and to review the Annual Security Report which contains information about crime statistics and other safety and security matters, please go to http://www.police.psu.edu/clery/, which will also provide you with detail on how to request a hard copy of the Annual Security Report.
Penn State is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, and is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.