PRINCIPAL CONSULTANT – AV Systems Design
Kirkegaard is seeking a motivated leader to join our team as a principal consultant in Integrated Systems, focused on AV systems design. The ideal candidate will have experience with systems for venues; a strong desire to work in the performing arts and to grow the practice; a drive to develop and maintain client relationships; and a commitment to being a collaborative, efficient and effective member both internally and externally.
Location for this position is flexible. Responsibilities include:
● Representing Kirkegaard as an AV Systems Design leader and primary point of contact with owners, architects, theater consultants and other design collaborators
● Growing our practice by expanding contacts and developing relationships with potential clients and project stakeholders
● Managing, developing and directing a team of designers and consultants to devise solutions that meet client needs and exceed expectations
● Financial forecasting and control of projects to keep them within budget
● Coordinating with the firm’s leadership to meet the company’s strategic and financial goals
● Creating cost-effective and timely AV systems design solutions, tailored to the users and client needs
● Coordinating work with internal team members, architects, engineers, theater consultants and other disciplines in the built environment
● Developing and delivering best-in-class AV systems and infrastructure drawings, details, specifications and other construction documents
● Managing construction administration and system installations for adherence to the design and Kirkegaard’s established best practices
● Commissioning of AV systems at completion to ensure that work meets Kirkegaard standards and that clients are equipped with the necessary tools and information for operation
● Providing technical guidance and mentoring to junior designers and interns
● Leading the firm’s participation in industry events and conferences to grow the business and recruit talent
The ideal candidate will have
● More than ten years of experience in the design and implementation of AV systems for venues
● Extensive knowledge in the design of AV systems including projection and display; music and speech reinforcement; control systems; and signal processing, routing and distribution
● Proven experience with AV systems architectural integration and infrastructure requirements for architect-led, design-bid-build projects
● Experience in business development, with P+L responsibility preferred
● Experience with developing and managing technical staff
● General knowledge of AV-related IT services, digital media delivery technologies and networking hardware, infrastructure and system architecture
● High-level thinking and visualization skills with an orientation for design and creative problem solving
● Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex issues and problems with clarity
● A flexible, collaborative approach to work, within the firm and with design team members
● Experience with AutoCAD and Autodesk Revit are required.
● CTS, CTS-D, CTS-I or other additional, industry certifications are a plus
● Knowledge of and/or experience in theatrical production is a plus
● Experience as a musician, public speaker, or actor is a plus
● Bachelor’s degree in a related field is preferred
We offer a competitive salary with outstanding benefits that include health, dental, life, long term care insurance and more.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, parental status, familial status, national origin, age, disability or economic class.
Our mission is to create acoustically wonderful spaces and AV systems for our clients and a supportive work environment for each other. Our vision is to add beauty to the world. If you share this vision, please apply here.
Kirkegaard is a world-renowned, 40+ year old architectural acoustics and audio-video systems design firm, specializing in the performing arts, based in Chicago with offices in St. Louis, and Houston. The firm has worked on over 3,000 projects in 24 countries since its founding in 1976. The current staff consists of 14 inspired and experienced individuals with backgrounds in architecture, architectural engineering, physics, audio engineering, theater arts and technical design, information technology and performing arts production, who perform work in room acoustics; sound isolation; noise and vibration control of building services; and design and tuning of audiovisual systems.
The firm’s expertise covers a wide spectrum: Performing Arts Centers; Schools of Music, Theater and Dance; Religious Buildings; Hospitals and Healthcare Facilities; Theatres, Concert Halls and Opera Houses; Educational Facilities; Business Facilities; Outdoor Music Venues; Museums and Libraries; Hotels and Conference Centers; and Recording and Broadcast Studios.