Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Location: Cambridge, MA
The Signal Kinetics group, led by professor Fadel Adib at MIT, has a postdoc opening in underwater acoustic/ultrasonic systems, particularly in the context of communication, networking, and sensing. Applicants are expected to have experience in designing, developing, and testing acoustic systems—such as transducers, energy harvesters, or sensors—and background in acoustic modeling and signal processing. The research will focus on developing underwater communication and sensing systems with applications to underwater climate change monitoring, marine life sensing, submarine communications, and subsea IoT.
Initial appointment will be for one year, with the possibility of extension based on funding and the direction of the research.
Expected start date: Summer or Fall 2019.
Position will remain open until filled. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.
· Conduct research to design, develop, and implement novel underwater sensors, actuators and transducers
· Evaluate systems in underwater environments
· Apply signal processing principles for underwater networking, communication, sensing, and energy harvesting
· Communicate results to the scientific community through publications in peer-reviewed academic publications and scholarly dissemination as directed by the PI
· Contribute to the development of proposals for research funding and to the reporting of results to funding agencies
· Engage in wider research and scholarly activities with the research group
· PhD in mechanical engineering, ocean science/engineering, electrical/electronic/communications engineering, computer science, physics, materials science, physics, or in relevant field
· Experience with acoustic or ultrasound transducers development, characterization, and applications
· Experience in piezoelectric design, theory, mathematical modeling, simulation, and implementation
· Background in signal processing and algorithms
· Ability to work independently, as well as a part of a highly collaborative interdisciplinary team, good interpersonal and communication skills
· Excellent writing skills
· Background in prototyping and proficiency in using 3D printers, CNC mill, CNC lathe, laser cutters, and soldering
· Experience in energy harvesting hardware design and implementation
· Experience with radar signal processing and wireless communication
Interested applicants should email their CV to email@example.com along with a short (one to two paragraph) description of their background and interest