Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (CNRS)
Location: Paris FR
Position title : PhD position in physics-based outdoor sound synthesis for VR applications
- Position: Marie Skłodowska-Curie Researcher, Early Stage (VRACE, ESR7), Full-Time
- Hosting Institution : Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (CNRS)
- School/Department: Institute of Mechanical Science and Industrial Applications (IMSIA)
- Application e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Salary: monthly gross salary of approximately 2900€, with an additional family allowance for the fellows who have family at the time of the recruitment.
The hosting laboratory:
IMSIA (Institute of Mechanical Science and Industrial Applications) is a joint research laboratory between ENSTA ParisTech, CNRS, EDF and CEA. It is hosted at ENSTA ParisTech, one of the top Engineering school in France, and a founding member of University Paris Saclay, a large university in the south of Paris. The acoustics research at IMSIA is oriented towards aero- and hydroacoustics (with applications to wind turbines and marine propellers), outdoor sound propagation, and musical acoustics (numerical methods for sound synthesis of gongs, cymbals, and piano).
This PhD is part of a Marie Curie Training Network dealing with Virtual Reality Audio for Cyber Environments (VRACE – vrace-etn.eu). The research is highly multidisciplinary and will take place in the context of the call H2020-MSCA-ITN-2018. The advertised position is one of 15 related but complementary positions funded by the European Training Network (ETN) 812719 VRACE. This ETN deals with analysis, modelling, numerical simulation and reconstruction of dynamic 3-dimensional soundscapes for applications in Virtual Reality (VR) and Augmented Reality (AR). All ESRs participate in a PhD program and receive an international 3-year PhD training for excellence organized by 9 cooperating Universities and their industrial partners, such as Siemens, MuellerBBM, Sennheiser and Facebook Reality Labs (former Oculus).
Your research topic inside VRACE
As Early State Researcher (ESR7) within this project, you will develop physics-based models for outdoor sound generated by moving sources in realistic environments. You will adapt existing physics-based emission models for various moving sources, such as road traffic noise and wind turbine noise, in a sound synthesis context, and account for the effects of atmospheric variations, ground and obstacles in the propagation model of the sound synthesis tool.
The PhD is hosted at the Institute of Mechanical Sciences and Industrial Applications (IMSIA), a joint research unit between CNRS and ENSTA ParisTech, located 20km South of Paris. The successful applicant will be appointed by CNRS under an employment contract with a very competitive salary according to EU regulation: the monthly gross salary of approximately 2900€; with an additional family allowance for the fellows who have family at the time of the recruitment. The duration of the contract is 36 months. The fellow is expected to join the host organization starting by September 1st2019 at the latest. Several research visits are scheduled during the course of the PhD to work with colleagues of the Mixed Research Unit in Environmental Acoustics in either Strasbourg or Nantes (http://www.umrae.fr/).
Eligibility criteria and skills/Qualifications
The applicant may be of any nationality.
The applicant shall at the time of recruitment be in the first four years of his/her research career and have not been awarded a doctoral degree. This is measured from the date when the applicant obtained the degree, which would formally entitle him/her to register as PhD candidate.
The applicant must not have resided or carried out his/her main activity in the country of the host institute (France) for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the recruitment.
- You have a master degree in engineering, scientific computing, physics or mathematics, obtained no longer than four years ago.
- You are in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience) of your research career and you have not been awarded a doctoral degree.
- You are proficient in written and spoken English.
- You have not had residence or main activities in France for more than 12 months in the last 3 years.
- During your courses or prior professional activities, you have gathered experience with the physical principles of acoustics, signal processing and numerical techniques, and/or I have a profound interest in these topics.
- You feel comfortable to work as a team member and you are eager to share your results with your colleagues.
You can apply for this job by sending the required documents via email to Dr Benjamin Cotté (email@example.com) who will also be your contact for more information. Your application must contain:
- Motivation Letter. Please provide information about the compliance with the mandatory eligibility Criteria stated above.
- Full list of credits of MSc degree (when you haven’t finished your master degree yet, just provide us with the partial list of already available credits and grades)
- List of refeeres
Women are particularly encouraged to apply! The VRACE network strives to improve gender balance in research.