Location: Silver Spring, MD
Position Title: ORISE Fellow – Sound Pressure Measurements during MRI Scans
Start Date: June 1 2019
Duration: 1 year (with second year renewal possibility)
Duty Location: Silver Spring, MD
Who may be considered: US Citizens; Permanent Residents; and Non-Citizens. All candidates must meet applicable security requirements which include a background check and a minimum of 3 out of the past 5 years’ residency status in the US.
Job Summary: The Division of Applied Mechanics (DAM) in the FDA Center for Devices and Radiological Health (CDRH), Office of Science and Engineering Laboratories (OSEL) has an opening in Silver Spring, MD for a masters or postgraduate fellow with a strong background in acoustics or physics. The position involves learning how to use designated sound recording equipment and processing the acoustic data to understand the bioeffect of the measured sound levels. Sound pressure levels will be measured during MRI scans in local hospitals. Experience in the following areas is desirable: acoustics, signal processing, magnetic resonance principles, or mechanical/electrical engineering.
Qualifications: Please document knowledge, skills, and abilities relevant to each area described below:
- Experience leading, planning, and conducting state-of-the-art laboratory research and data processing in the area of acoustics or general physics.
- Knowledge of the scientific principles and practices associated with acoustical signal processing.
- Ability to participate in and contribute to multi-disciplinary teams and work groups to resolve difficult or controversial research questions.
- A B.S. or M.S. from an accredited university in engineering or a relevant scientific field
- Excellent written and spoken English.