To support our growth, we are seeking a Noise Specialist to contribute to the development of innovative, accurate, timely, and quality products and services, typically working on multiple projects with all levels of staff. The Noise Specialist position will work with current ICF noise staff to conduct noise studies for development and transportation projects in support of ICF’s southern California Region. You will apply your academic knowledge, gain exposure to major projects, build project management skills, interact with experts and clients in the field, while building content knowledge and consulting skills.
Our southern California offices provide environmental planning, transportation, and energy-related professional services to public and private clients throughout the state of California. Position is available in Irvine, Los Angeles or San Diego, CA.
What You Will Do
- Conducts field studies and traffic noise modeling under the supervision of senior noise staff.
- Helps to prepare written Noise Study Reports (NSR) and Noise Abatement Decision Reports (NADR) consistent with the requirements of 23CFR772 and the Caltrans Traffic Noise Analysis Protocol.
- Coordinates and conducts field work related to noise analyses for various types of projects under the supervision of senior noise staff.
- Aids with the preparation of noise modeling using the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) Traffic Noise Model (TNM), rail noise modeling using Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) and Federal Transit Administration (FTA) models, construction noise modeling using the FHWA Roadway Construction Noise Model (RCNM), and general noise modeling using SoundPLAN, under the supervision of senior noise staff.
- Assists senior noise staff with the creation of written noise technical reports for transportation, industrial, commercial development, and construction projects including, but not limited to, projects prepared under the requirements of CEQA and NEPA.
- Interacts effectively with other staff and stakeholders/clients.
- Aids senior noise staff with the preparation of project proposals and scopes and budgets as needed for projects.
What You Need to Have
- Bachelor’s Degree in acoustics, physics, engineering, environmental science or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience in noise analysis.
- Competency in Microsoft Office (Word and Excel).
- Ability to conduct outdoor fieldwork for extended periods, including lifting and carrying up to 50 lbs. on occasion.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and provide own vehicle, with willingness to travel locally for fieldwork and meetings, and occasional overnight travel as necessary.
The following qualifications are not essential for an entry-level candidates, but are considered highly desirable:
- 0-3 years of experience in noise monitoring and analysis.
- Basic understanding of Federal or State guidelines such as 23CFR772, or Caltrans Traffic Noise Analysis Protocol and Technical Noise Supplement (TeNS).
- Basic understanding of TNM, SoundPLAN, or similar noise modeling software.
- General understanding of NEPA and CEQA guidelines.
- Experience with developing and maintaining project schedules.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate with project managers and senior noise and transportation staff.
- A basic understanding of MicroStation or AutoCAD.
ICF offers an excellent benefits package, an award-winning talent development program, and fosters a highly skilled, energized and empowered workforce.
ICF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. (EOE – Minorities/Females/ Protected Veterans Status/Disability Status/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity)
Reasonable Accommodations are available for disabled veterans and applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email email@example.com and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.