University of Victoria
Location: Victoria BC
We are seeking a highly qualified candidate for a Mitacs Elevate post doctoral fellowship to work closely with Dr. Francis Juanes at the University of Victoria (academic supervisor; www.juaneslab.weebly.com) and Dr. Stephen Insley and Dr. William Halliday with Wildlife Conservation Society Canada (partner organization; www.arcticnoise.ca). This fellowship will focus on using passive acoustic monitoring in the Canadian Arctic for monitoring keystone marine fish species, such as Arctic cod (Boreogadus saida). We currently have acoustic recorders deployed in the Amundsen Gulf (to be retrieved summer 2019), and many of these recorders are paired with an active acoustics system that estimates the density of fish around the mooring site. The successful candidate will work on pairing the passive and active acoustic datasets in order to validate the use of passive acoustic monitoring for detecting fish calls in this remote Arctic ecosystem.
The successful candidate must have a strong background in working with passive acoustic monitoring data, specifically in bioacoustic and statistical analyses. The project will focus on analyzing large acoustic datasets, and may also include 2-4 weeks of field work per year in the western Canadian Arctic to retrieve and deploy acoustic recorders. The successful candidate must hold a PhD by the start date of this fellowship, and should have a strong record of scholarly publications. Interested candidates should send a cover letter, CV, and names and email addresses of two references to Dr. William Halliday (email@example.com). This application will remain open until the right candidate is found for the position, or until 1 July 2019. Only applicants who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
- PhD with a strong computational/analytical background
- Experience analyzing large acoustic datasets using both automated and manual analyses
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong record of scholarly publications
- Experience with field work in remote locations, working out of small boats
- Must be eligible for a Mitacs Elevate Post Doctoral Fellowship (https://www.mitacs.ca/en/programs/elevate/who-eligible)
- Duration: 2 years (second year contingent on satisfactory performance in first year)
- Salary: $55,000/year plus health benefits and $5,000/year research stipend
- Location: Department of Biology, University of Victoria, Victoria, BC, Canada
- Application Closing Date: 1 July 2019
- Anticipated Starting Date: 1 January 2020