Noise Control Engineering, LLC (NCE)
Location: Billerica MA
Finite Element Modeler and Analyst
Noise Control Engineering, LLC (NCE) (equal opportunity employer and wholly owned subsidiary of Glosten, Inc.) is an engineering consulting firm that specializes in designing vessels with low noise and vibration. Our engineers perform assessments of vessel designs using advanced modeling and measurement approaches, develop solutions to noise and vibration issues, and carry out compliance and diagnostic testing throughout the United States and abroad. NCE encourages unique solutions to tough problems, identification of new approaches to data collection & processing, and forward thinking.
NCE is looking for an eager and talented candidate to perform finite element modeling and analyses of marine structures. In this position, your primary responsibilities will be to create finite element models of ship structures and predict the structural vibration response that results from specific machinery and propulsion excitations such as diesel engines and propellers. You will have the opportunity to perform vibration surveys while dockside and at sea for compliance and diagnostic purposes. There will also be opportunities to perform specialized dynamic structural testing such as modal testing, operational deflection characterizations, and modal extraction from operational data. You will be required to write reports, interact with clients, and write proposals that are clear, succinct, and effective.
The position will also require acoustic modeling and analysis to assess and identify noise problems and solutions. On-the-job training will be provided for candidates with an interest in acoustics and vibration and a desire to learn.
The ideal candidate will have following:
- BS or MS in Naval Architecture, preferably with coursework in finite element analysis.
- 2-5 years of experience in creating and analyzing finite element models. Experience may include static analyses, though vibration analysis capabilities are preferred. An understanding of basic finite element theory is required.
- Demonstrated interest with structural analysis, vibrations, and/or acoustics.
- Exposure to marine structures is preferred, but not required.
- Experience with vibration measurements, modal testing, and related topics is advantageous.
- Experience or expertise with MATLAB, Python, and/or other computational modeling tools or computer languages is desired.
- Effective technical communication skills in verbal, written, and graphic formats.
- Proficient with the standard Microsoft Office Suite.
NCE works on ITAR and classified projects. Applicant must be a U.S. citizen in order to comply with the requirements of these projects.
Travel is required throughout the United States and sometimes abroad, and may require a valid driver’s license, current passport, and/or TWIC card.
NCE offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical/dental coverage, paid time off, tuition reimbursement, bonus and profit-sharing plans, and a 401(k) plan.
Interested applicants should submit their cover letter and resume, to our applicant center for review. Applicants missing any requested documentation will not be considered.
Please visit our website www.noise-control.com to learn more about our company, our projects and clients, and what is happening at NCE.
NCE is proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment. In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. NCE does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, handicap, disability, sexual orientation, or veteran status in accordance with applicable state and federal laws.
We encourage women, minorities, veterans, disabled veterans, and the disabled to apply for this position.