British Columbia Institute of Technology – BCIT
Location: Burnaby, BC Canada
Position Title: Faculty – Building Acoustics
Job Status: Regular
Competition Close Date: 07/02/2022
WHO WE ARE
At BCIT, putting people at the core of everything we do is paramount. This idea is the foundation of BCIT’s People Vision, which describes the lnstitute’s goals and priorities in respect to our people. In a complex and uncertain world, it’s vital our people feel valued, supported and connected. BCIT champions a culture of innovation and global progress through people’s imagination and creativity. With a competitive compensation package, great work-life balance, and career advancement opportunities, see why we’ve earned the title of one of BC’s Top Employers for over ten years running.
BCIT values diverse experiences, ideas, cultures and perspectives and is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. As an equal opportunity employer, we encourage applications from members of all groups experiencing barriers to equity. If you require accessibility accommodations during any part of the application or hiring process, please contact RecruitmentAssistant@bcit.ca so we can best support you.
BCIT acknowledges that our campuses are located on unceded Indigenous land belonging to the Coast Salish peoples, including the territories of the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) and Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish) Nations.
BCIT’s School of Construction and the Environment is currently seeking a regular full-time Faculty in the field of Building Acoustics. The faculty will be a member of the Graduate Program in Building Science. The Graduate Program aims to establish a regional education and research capacity in Building Science and Building Engineering, advance the state of practice in building design and construction, promote sustainable design and innovation, and become a recognized knowledge-based node in the global network of building science experts.
The Building Science Acoustics lab has been developed over the last 10 years to include: 4 channel and 8 channels analyzers for laboratory measurements, room acoustics, environmental sound and vibrations measurements, impedance tube, shoulder-unit for binaural for psychoacoustics research, 40 microphone array for sound source localization, tapping machine for impact testing on floors and roofs, intensity probe for sound transmission and sound power emission,1:10 scale anechoic chamber for free-field simulation, a 325 m^3 ASTM E-90 sound transmission suite is currently under construction.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Currently, the Building Science Graduate Program is looking for a talented team oriented individual to fill a challenging research and teaching position. Candidates with research and teaching experience in building acoustics are encouraged to apply. The main roles and responsibilities of the faculty are as follows:
- Conduct leading edge applied research in acoustic research in areas such as sound transmission of novel assemblies, building envelopes or living architecture, material characteristics and room acoustics, or psychoacoustics and sound quality.
- Develop and maintain their own research program related to building acoustics within a framework of collaborations throughout the institution and industry.
- Teach undergraduate and graduate courses in building acoustics, supervise graduate students’ research projects
- Actively engage in scholarly activities, supporting funding initiative and produce publications
- Serve on committees for the School, the Institute, and industry associations
- PhD in Acoustics and a minimum of three to five years current, related research and teaching experience
- Demonstrated success in writing research proposals and securing research funding
- Proven ability to produce quality publications in the field of specialization
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, demonstrating an excellent command of the English language
- Recent industry experience and eligibility for registration as a professional engineer would be a strong asset
Benefits – Why you'd love working with us
- Competitive pay
- Minimum of twenty-five days of vacation (or more, depending on your position)
- Competitive employer-paid extended health and dental plan – take a look at our benefit plans!
- Defined contribution pension plan with employer contributions
- Eligibility for partial remote work upon Institute approval
- Professional Development funds and resources
- Access to most BCIT PTS courses free of charge
- Wellness and Employee Assistance programs
- Complimentary membership with free access to the Fitness Centre, Gymnasium, and more
Note: Applicants will be redirected to https://careers.bcit.ca/postings/5499 to apply.