Location: Houston, Chicago or St. Louis
Kirkegaard Associates is seeking a consultant with experience in noise and vibration control, and experience in sound isolation and architectural acoustics. The ideal candidate will have a strong desire to work in the performing arts and a willingness to work on a diversity of projects; an interest in developing and maintaining client relationships; and a commitment to being a collaborative, efficient and effective member both internally and externally.
This position will be located in our Houston, Chicago or St. Louis office. Responsibilities include:
- Acoustics design consulting and project management of noise/vibration control, sound isolation and room acoustics projects
- Coordinating work with architects, engineers, theater consultants and other disciplines in the built environment
- Analyzing data and working internally to help solve complex technical challenges and problems
- Managing small project for efficient and effective delivery of consulting services within budget
- Working remotely with principals, consultants and specialists in other office locations
- Contributing to proposal and qualifications submissions
- Providing technical guidance and mentoring to specialists and interns
- Participating in industry events and conferences to contribute to the business and the technical field broadly
The ideal candidate will have
- Three to 6 years relevant experience in acoustics consulting
- Experience in the measurement and analysis of complex noise and vibration projects
- Experience with all phases of projects from programming through commissioning
- High-level thinking and visualization skills with an orientation for design and creative problem solving
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex issues and problems with clarity
- A flexible, collaborative approach to work, both within the firm and with members of design teams
- Substantial experience communicating with general contractors, sub-contractors (HVAC, Electrical, Drywall and Framing) and client project managers during construction administration process including field visits, submittal review and RFI responses.
- Some exposure or desire for exposure in business development with preparation of proposals for small to medium-sized projects
- Proficiency (or ability to readily learn) applications such as REVIT, AutoCAD, Rhino and EASE, CATT, or Odeon; experience with Matlab, Grasshopper and/or Audition desired
- Experience as a musician, public speaker, or actor
- Bachelor’s degree in architecture, architectural engineering, physics, a related engineering field or acoustics
- Master’s degree in architecture, acoustics, physics or mechanical engineering desired.
We offer a competitive salary with outstanding benefits that include health, dental, life, long term care insurance and more.
Our mission is to create acoustically wonderful spaces and AV systems for our clients and a supportive work environment for each other. Our vision is to add beauty to the world. If you share this vision, please apply here.
Kirkegaard Associates is a world-renowned, 40-year old architectural acoustics and audio-video systems design firm, specializing in the performing arts, based in Chicago with offices in St. Louis, Houston and Boulder, Colorado. The firm has worked on over 2,800 projects in 24 countries since its founding in 1976. The current staff consists of 11 inspired and experienced individuals with backgrounds in architecture, architectural engineering, physics, audio engineering, theater arts and technical design, information technology and performing arts production, who perform work in room acoustics; sound isolation; noise and vibration control of building services; and design and tuning of audio-video systems.
The firm’s expertise covers a wide spectrum: Performing Arts Centers; Schools of Music, Theater and Dance; Religious Buildings; Hospitals and Healthcare Facilities; Theatres, Concert Halls and Opera Houses; Educational Facilities; Business Facilities; Outdoor Music Venues; Museums and Libraries; Hotels and Conference Centers; and Recording and Broadcast Studios.