The National Research Council of Canada
Organizational Unit: Construction
Duration: 2 years
Language Requirements: English
The NRC Advantage
GREAT MINDS. ONE GOAL. CANADA’S SUCCESS.
The National Research Council of Canada represents a powerful partnering option for anyone looking to push the boundaries of science and industry. In fact, as the Government of Canada’s premier research organization supporting industrial innovation, the advancement of knowledge and technology development, we have become catalysts for innovation. For over a hundred years, the impact of our work with industry leaders and other government bodies has shaped Canada’s future. We partner with some of the most creative and solutions-driven minds in the world.
And now, we want to partner with you. Be part of our collective force to come up with potentially disruptive solutions to Canada’s current and future technology challenges. Let your expertise and inspirations make an impact by joining the NRC.
Help bring research to life and drive your career forward with the National Research Council of Canada (NRC), Canada’s premier research and technology organization.
We are looking for a vibrant and dynamic Research Associate, Building Acoustics to support our Construction Research Centre. The Research Associate, Building Acoustics would be someone who shares our core values of impact, accountability, leadership, integrity and collaboration.
The primary responsibility of the RA is to support the goals of NRC and the Research Centre through research of and the development and application of advanced technologies. The RA works in a team environment with researchers and technical experts in world-class facilities. Activities include designing and making measurements for research projects, project management, and providing service to NRC clients. The RA provides input into the overall direction and research priorities for the program area within the context of the Research Centre business plan.
As part of a multidisciplinary team developing and deploying technical solutions for construction sector clients, the incumbent will support and conduct research activities dealing with the control of sound transmission in multi-unit buildings. Research activities focus on characterizing the acoustic performance of multi-unit construction, relating this performance to key construction details, modifying the design details to achieve enhanced performance for airborne and impact sound insulation.
Transferring research findings to industry and stakeholders is also an important responsibility of this position.
Applicants must demonstrate within the content of their application that they meet the following screening criteria in order to be given further consideration as candidates:
As part of the RA Program you must have received your PhD in Building Science, Electrical, Mechanical or Civil Engineering, or a Master’s degree in Engineering (Electrical, Mechanical or Civil) within the last 5 years or you expect to receive the degree within the next 6 months.
For information on certificates and diplomas issued abroad, please see Degree equivalency
- Experience in designing and conducting tests dealing with the evaluation and control of sound transmission in buildings.
- Experience with measurement equipment, overseeing data collection, and ensuring data quality.
- Experience in the prediction or rating of physical or subjective response to sound.
- Experience working with standards, specifications, or building codes dealing with acoustical performance of buildings would be an asset.
Condition of Employment
Information on language requirements and self-assessment tests
Candidates will be assessed on the basis of the following criteria:
Advanced knowledge of physical acoustics, including sound transmission in buildings.
Solid knowledge of the physical attributes of sound, including basic knowledge of common criteria and rating systems for building acoustics.
Solid knowledge of measurement instrumentation and methods to characterize direct and flanking transmission in buildings. For example:
- Measurement of STC rating
- Measurement of IIC rating
Knowledge of both physical acoustics and acoustical signal analysis.
Ability to design and use electro-acoustic instrumentation systems to measure, control, and characterize sound fields in buildings.
- Research – Communication (Level 1)
- Research – Initiative (Level 1)
- Research – Results orientation (Level 1)
- Research – Teamwork (Level 1)
For this position, the NRC will evaluate candidates using the following competency profile(s): Research
View all competency profiles
Relocation assistance will be determined in accordance with the NRC’s directives.
From $49,670 to $140,418 per annum.
The Research Associate (RA) Program is unique to the NRC. It falls under the RO/RCO classification system which uses a person-based classification system instead of the more common duties-based classification system. Candidates are remunerated based on their expertise, skill, outcomes and impacts of their previous work experience.
- NRC employees enjoy a wide-range of benefits including comprehensive health and dental plans, pension and insurance plans, vacation and other leave entitlements.
- Research Associate Program : In order to be considered for the Research Associate Program all applicants must include a copy of their resume with their application. Additionally, two letters of recommendations, their transcripts, and a copy of their degree must also be submitted. These can be attached to the application or may follow via e-mail to the contact below no later than the closing date indicated on this poster.
- Candidates must demonstrate the ability to perform original high-quality research in their chosen field. The initial appointment will normally be for a two-year term. Appointments may be extended subject to the Associate’s performance and subject to the requirements of NRC. The maximum period of employment as a Research Associate is five years.
- Additionally, by applying to this competition your application will be added to the national NRC Research Associate Program Inventory and may be considered for other RA positions as they become available.
- For further information regarding the RA Program, please visit our website.
- Preference will be given to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada. Please include citizenship information in your application.
- The incumbent must adhere to safe workplace practices at all times.
- We thank all those who apply, however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
As an employer who values diversity in its workforce, we encourage candidates to self-identify as members of the following designated groups: women, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities. Measures for accommodation are available to all candidates retained for further assessment.
Please direct your questions, with the requisition number (605) to:
Please note the closing date for applications is the 9th of May 2018. We do not accept resumes by email. Applicants must apply directly from our website:
Link to Apply: https://recruitment-recrutement.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/job/Ottawa-Research-Associate%2C-Building-Acoustics-ON/357017817/
For more information on career tools and other resources, check out Career tools and resources
Date Modified: 2018-03-09