Newson Brown Acoustics, LLC,
Location: Culver City, CA
Newson Brown Acoustics, LLC is seeking to hire an entry-level acoustical consultant to work in our office located in Culver City, California.
Newson Brown Acoustics, LLC has been in business for over twenty five years. Consultants at our company provide a full range of acoustical consulting services including architectural acoustics, building services noise and vibration control, community and environmental acoustics and acoustical troubleshooting. Our office works on a broad range of project types including television and movie studios, radio and recording studios, corporate headquarters, courts and other civic buildings, educational facilities, healthcare, residential, resorts and hotels, laboratories, libraries, museums, performing arts spaces, screening rooms, theaters and worship spaces. Clients served include all major Hollywood movie studios, tech companies, major global corporations, governments and academic institutions.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Reviewing architectural, mechanical, electrical and plumbing drawings.
- Providing sound isolation and acoustical finish recommendations.
- Using software to predict mechanical noise levels and recommending appropriate noise control.
- Providing vibration isolation specifications for electrical, plumbing and elevator systems.
- Carrying out noise surveys of project sites and recommending upgrades to building exteriors as needed to meet interior noise level criteria.
- Noise control of emergency generators and other outdoor equipment.
- Acoustical testing and troubleshooting.
- Vibration measurements.
- Analysis of noise and vibration data.
- Understanding of acoustics standards.
- Reviewing and responding to requests for information and product submittals during construction.
- Visiting projects during construction to determine if they are being built per the plans.
- Preparation of technical reports and communicating with clients.
- Attending meetings to discuss and present reports.
- Effective time management to meet deadlines on multiple projects.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- A Bachelor’s Degree or Master’s Degree (preferred) in acoustics, or a related subject.
- Experience with Word and Excel.
- Experience with TAP, CATT Acoustic, Auto CAD, Revit and EASERA.
- Experience with both Bruel and Kjaer and Larson Davis sound level meters and software.
- Knowledge of common architectural terms, structures, building systems and design practices.
- Ability to read, understand, interpret and analyze architectural and technical drawings, specifications and other related materials.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and decision making capabilities.
- Excellent writing, listening and verbal communications skills, with a strong commitment to learning.
- Excellent time management skills with the ability to prioritize and multi-task, work under strict deadlines in a fast-paced environment, interface effectively with management, and handle multiple requests.
- Ability to work independently and as a team.
- Ability to work with all levels of internal staff, as well as outside clients and vendors.
- Proactive, conscientious and flexible, with a strong work ethic.
- Organized and detail oriented.
- Passion for acoustics, building/construction, and design.
- Sound business ethics, including the protection of proprietary and confidential information.
Training and Benefits
- We aim to fully train entry level consultants in all of the duties and responsibilities listed above within two to three years of joining the company.
- We offer competitive salaries and outstanding benefits including:
- Fifteen days of paid vacation per year for starting employees.
- Seven paid holidays per year.
- Five days of paid sick leave per year.
- Health and dental coverage.
- 401k plan with company contributions.
- Long term disability insurance.
- Reimbursement of relocation expenses.
Newson Brown Acoustics, LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants must be able to work legally in the United States. Qualified applicants are invited to send a resume and salary requirements to email@example.com. Both graduates and people with work experience are welcome to apply.
Judy R. Dubno
Department of Otolarynology—Head and Neck Surgery, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC
Citation: For contributions to understanding age-related hearing loss and for leadership in the acoustics community
R. Bruce Lindsay Award
Applied Ocean Physics & Engineering, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, Woods Hole, MA
Citation: For contributions to physics-based signal processing methods for underwater acoustic applications
Silver Medal in Noise
Scott D. Sommerfeldt
Department of Physics and Astronomy, Brigham Young University, Provo, UT
Citation: For contributions to active noise and structural acoustic control
Silver Medal in Speech Communication
The MARCS Institute for Brain, Behaviour and Development, Western Sydney University, Sydney, Australia
Citation: for contributions to understanding speech recognition by native and non-native listeners, and leadership in speech science
Wallace Clement Sabine Medal
Gary W. Siebein
Seibein Associates and University of Florida, School of Architecture, Gainesville, FL
Citation: For contributions to education and practice in architectural acoustics
Medwin Prize in Acoustical Oceanography
Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute, Moss Landing, CA
Citation: For contributions to understanding marine organism foraging ecology using novel acoustic analysis
William and Christine Hartmann Prize in Auditory Neuroscience
Edwin R. Rubel
Virginia Merrill Bloedel Hearing Research Center University of Washington, Seattle, WA
Rossing Prize in Acoustics Education
Daniel J. Butko, University of Oklahoma