Location: Owatonna, MN
Wenger Corporation is growing and adding an Acoustics Design Engineer to our team in Owatonna, MN. Our facility is an easy 45-minute drive from the South Metro.
Wenger Corporation is a privately-held, leading manufacturer of high-quality music education, performing arts and athletic products. As a world-class, international market leader, Wenger blends the best of big and small companies to provide the ideal size for your ideal career. The company provides a generous compensation and benefits package, wellness programs, the opportunity for development and advancement – and we wrap it up in a family-owned, small-company culture where your voice is heard, your name is known, and your impact is felt.
The Acoustics Design Engineer is responsible for designing and developing innovative new products in the field of acoustics. Areas of focus would include the Tunable Acoustic Panel, Acoustical Banners, VAE-Rehearsal System, and the Transcend Active Acoustic System.
1. Evaluate customer requirements and engage in engineering product design utilizing knowledge of acoustic and mechanical engineering principles.
2. Design products within acoustic panels, acoustical banners, portable acoustic shells, modular sound-isolating practice rooms, and active acoustic products.
3. Perform system design for all phases of active acoustic projects in various music rehearsal and performing arts venues.
4. Assist with programming and tuning active acoustic systems.
5. Conduct acoustic field measurements and on-site product assessment. Manage and operate company’s acoustical and electronics laboratories, including specification and maintenance of data acquisition software and test equipment.
6. Project leadership to develop detailed customer requirements and corresponding product functional requirements in collaboration with the Product Manager and field visits.
7. Effectively leader multifunctional project teams both individually and collectively to help accomplish the goals of the project and stimulate growth of the team’s capabilities.
8. Stimulate generation and development of effective ideas for new products, product improvements and cost reductions in order to provide the best possible product for our customers
9. Conduct the engineering analysis with respect to strength calculations, design layout, fits and tolerances and modeling as required
10. Conduct accelerated product life cycle tests and evaluates field testing and potential misuse of all products in order to provide a long and safe service life for the end user
11. Provide complete, documented product and engineering specifications, working closely with Engineering Services, Manufacturing Engineering, Product Manager, Unit Manager, Industrial Engineer, Planner and Quality Control.
12. Provides support for development of new manufacturing processes
13. Prepares recommendations with supporting logic for product changes that will improve sales potential and/or reduce cost
14. Provides technical writing support and editing of service manuals, assembly and operating instructions 15. Coordinates and executes with other departments product development tasks including:
• Product design including necessary calculations (FEA)
• Design Reviews
• Peer Reviews
• Design Validation
• Design Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (DFMEA)
• Design for Manufacturability
• Design Cost Analysis
• Prototype Development
• Accelerated product life cycle tests (including environmental testing)
• Design specification development – engineering specifications
• Early concept development documentation for Engineering Services
• Preproduction support
• Field testing (beta sites)
• Materials acquisition
• Tooling acquisition
• Passion for acoustics
• Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering, Acoustical Engineering, EE or closely-related field of study, or equivalent experience
• Five (5) years of progressive product engineering experience is preferred
• Proficiency with computer aided design (CAD) software (SolidWorks preferred)
• Knowledge of analytical acoustical tools such as CATT, EASERA, ODEON, etc. preferred
• Knowledge of sound system configuration tools such as Audio Architect, Q-YS, CueStation, etc. preferred
• Knowledge of sound system components, functions and design implementations preferred
• Proficiency with finite element analysis software (FEA) and stress calculations
• Knowledge of the basic materials and processes used in industry with emphasis on new technology developments
• Ability to conceptualize, formulate design possibilities and coordinate development by the project team under time and financial constraints
• Commitment to effective project leadership, coordination and evaluation, with recommendations for changes required to improve overall results
• Music background preferred
• Travel is required
Your creativity inspires better performances and enhances peoples’ lives!
To view the full position description & to apply:
Wenger Corporation is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer Male/Female/Disability/Veterans