Location: North America
We are currently seeking an Acoustics Consultant in North America. You will be responsible for all aspects of analysis, design, documenting, and construction observation in room acoustics, sound separation, and noise and vibration control, working as part of our project teams which can include theatre designers, lighting designers, stage equipment designers, and audio/video consultants to deliver holistic, client-focused design solutions.
You will report to one of our Principals, who will manage your project assignments and workload along with Charcoalblue’s Operations Coordinator. You will have the chance to meet regularly with your line manager to ensure you are fully supported in your role and since theatre consultancy is a specialist field, we will provide role-specific inductions and ongoing training to help you succeed.
- Collaborate with clients to evaluate their needs for a project as they relate to acoustics.
- Visit buildings to subjectively and objectively evaluate the acoustics characteristics.
- Propose acoustics solutions which meet project requirements and anticipated uses.
- Communicate the intent and purpose of acoustic recommendations while adjusting communication styles for different audiences – client teams, other creative designers, engineers, building contractors, etc.
- Conduct analysis and calculations to develop and justify design decisions, including computer-based room acoustic modelling, processing of measured data, sound separation and noise control calculations.
- Present design recommendations through narrative descriptions and diagrams.
- Contribute to project documentation through drawn information and specification language.
- Work with architects and engineers to explain the acoustic design intent and to incorporate detailed design information and coordinate design objectives, including sustainability.
- Work with our internal design team to present a holistic design solution which balances all aspects of performance functionality.
- Contribute to the overall design and construction management of projects, including commenting on costs and risks.
- Contribute to value engineering and cost management; adapting and revising designs to reduce cost while maintaining as much value and performance as possible.
- Participate in site visits for construction progress and building commissioning. This position will require occasional travel, including international/overseas travel.
- Work with our Team Leaders to set out project work plans, goals, and deliverables.
- Contribute to the continual development of our internal design, technical and training resources.
- Support the work of our larger team including two New York-based Senior Consultants in Acoustics and collaborate with consultants in the UK and Australia.
Charcoalblue is open to receiving applications with a variety of levels of experience. We are seeking a broad candidate pool, with no set education or experience requirements. If you meet most of the qualifications below, we encourage you to apply.
- Have education or experience in the physics of sound, noise, and vibration, including standard metrics and their derivation.
- Effectively uses language to describe acoustic qualities and parameters.
- Experience or interest in construction, building science, and architectural design, including the design process and the roles of an architectural design team.
- Skills in data manipulation and calculation, in spreadsheet and/or programming platforms.
- Practical experience in acoustic measurement procedures and familiarity with standards.
- Experience in technical drawing and three-dimensional drawing, especially AutoCAD, REVIT, Rhinoceros, and Sketchup.
- The ability to self-manage and set work plans for the successful delivery of work against deadlines.
- Familiarity with the standard suite of Microsoft Office projects and Adobe Acrobat and/or Bluebeam.
- Understanding of performing arts industry operations or management.
- Experience and interest in live performance, music, broadcast, and/or events.
We are an equal opportunities employer. Our mission is to create a diverse and inclusive working environment across our practice. Recruitment opportunities are open to all, but we are particularly keen to hear from ethnically diverse and disabled candidates, as these groups are currently under-represented within our teams. We accept applications via our online application system: PeopleHR.
If you require this application in a different format or need support during the application process, please contact Sian Thompson via email (email@example.com) or Lindsay Ricketts via telephone (212-645-0790). Equally, please contact Sian if you have any questions in relation to access, or how the role might need to respond to your personal circumstances.
All applications are due by 9am EST on Monday August 23rd, 2021.