Research & Development Project Leader/Acoustics
Elaine Lissy Associates
Our client is a $200 million privately held manufacturer of high performance composite materials with a 65+ year history of providing floor panels, cargo liners, honeycomb and a variety of other light weight/high strength materials to the commercial aerospace industry with three locations in the United States and two in Europe.
Reporting to the Research & Development Group Leader, the Project Leader will be responsible for conducting laboratory project activities for the development of new products, manufacturing processes, improvement of existing products and/or processes and solving of specific problems relating to the manufacturing/quality of various products.
Primary responsibilities include the following:
- Plans a technical approach to a problem based on product specifications, definitions of a problem, and/or desired product improvement based on a given objective.
- Develops in-house capability for basic acoustic testing and product performance modeling. Coordinate with customers on more complex acoustic testing.
- Seeks assistance on chemistry of resins from a cognizant chemist or the R&D Director. Should develop a working knowledge of the product resin formulations, especially product behavior characteristics; and become capable of making minor modifications as necessary to optimize products.
- Develops the processes for the manufacturing of new or existing products for optimal quality and efficiency balance.
- Manages the records of all project formulations, observations, and test results in a manner consistent with aerospace standards.
- Interprets test results and other pertinent information and forms conclusions and recommendations based on results.
- Reports project progress and prepares final reports at the conclusion of the project.
- Fluent in mechanical testing specifications and procedures, including the basic theory of composite materials testing.
- Works with and trains laboratory technicians.
- Assists in the transition of new products into production.
- Provides assistance to the Quality Department and Sales/Marketing Department as requested.
- Makes recommendations for the improvement of manufacturing efficiencies, product quality, laboratory practices, and safety issues.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the above duties with some supervision and direction. The competencies listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- BS in Chemical Engineering, scientific or other engineering field required. Advanced degree desirable.
- Minimum four years of direct experience with composite materials – work in composites technology, mechanical testing and related training sought.
- Detailed knowledge of acoustics desired.
- Knowledge of stress analysis a plus.
- Track record of successful project management
- Knowledge of statistical analysis, Green Belt or higher preferred.
- Self starter who takes initiative and ownership required.
- Good communication skills, English (written and spoken) required.
- Good organization skills with the ability to manage multiple projects required.
- Exhibits logical and critical thinking skills
- Ability to work with others both inside and outside the organization.
Interested candidates are invited to forward a resume to:
Elaine Lissy Associates
- Journal of the Acoustical Society of America
- JASA Express Letters
- Proceedings of Meetings on Acoustics
- Acoustics Today
- Echoes Newsletter
- Acoustics Research Letters Online
- Noise Control
- Sound: Its Uses and Control
- Subscription Information and Rates
- Online Books
- Printed Books
- CDs, DVDs and Videos
- Foundation Fund
- Funding Resources